Breville the Barista Express Espresso Machine, BES870XL
- Dose control grinding: integrated conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- Precise espresso extraction: digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal Espresso extraction
- Micro foam milk texturing: the steam wand performance allows you to hand texture micro foam milk that enhances flavor and enables creation of latte art
- Grind size dial: Simple and intuitive, giving you control over the grind size no matter what type of bean you’re grinding
- Hands free operation: Innovative grinding cradle allows any at home Barista to grind directly into the espresso port filter
- Settings: single or double shots; Adjustable grind amount & manual over ride; Power 1600 Watts; Compatible for model number Breville ES800XL
- Included accessories: Razor dose trimming tool. 54 millimeter Stainless Steel port filter; 1 cup & 2 cup single & dual wall filter Baskets; Coffee scoop; Integrated tamper; Stainless Steel milk jug; Cleaning disc and tablets; Cleaning brush, tool and Allen key; Water filter holder and water filter
Breville Express Review
Breville is one of the leading producers of coffee makers and other kitchen appliances around the world. With this in mind, it should come as no surprise that their espresso machine, the Breville Express, is a very high quality machine. This is an entry-level coffee machine but don’t let that dissuade you. All that means is that it doesn’t come with a bloated price tag and a host of features that many home consumers will never need.
While the machine doesn’t include all the bells and whistles of other machines, it comes with all the essentials. Built in bean grinder? Check. Single and double shot options? Check. Includes all the necessary tools for use right out of the box? Check. Really, if you’re just looking for a simple, low-cost machine that you can use a few times per day, the Breville Express is a fantastic espresso machine at an even better price.
The grinder on the Breville Express is specifically designed to grind beans evenly and into a dose of 19 to 22 grams every time. This is the exact amount of bean needed to achieve the rich, complex, and full flavor that Breville is known for. Whichever blend you use, the Express is sure to bring its best qualities out during the grinding process.
After the grinding process is complete, the pour begins. In order to preserve the complexity and distinct characteristics of your espresso blend, the Breville Express employs digital temperature control technology. This ensures that the water used to brew your espresso is consistently and evenly heated to the perfect temperature throughout the whole pour.
The espresso is brewed with a high-pressure extraction process in order to balance out the robust and complete taste with a smooth, silky mouthfeel. If the espresso itself isn’t creamy enough for your taste, however, you can make use of the steaming wand included with the machine. The wand is crafted to ensure that you create a deliciously creamy micro-foam from any milk product you like. When added to the espresso, this micro-foam brings creamier and lighter notes to the surface for those who prefer a smoother taste in their coffee. The micro-foam produced by the wand is so high quality, in fact, that you can even create gorgeous, smooth latte art with it.
The Breville Express is also designed to accommodate those who enjoy customizing every aspect of their coffee-drinking experience. Have your own preferred dose of beans? Like to have control over the grind size? Take your coffee at a specific temperature? The Express is equipped to fulfill all these needs by letting you customize all of these variables. The machine even features a discreet hot water dispenser if you’re more in the mood for tea on any given day.
All of these features make the Breville Express a perfect espresso machine for home use. It’s versatile, durable, and gives you the freedom to craft your perfect espresso drink every morning. Perhaps the biggest selling point of the machine, however, is its low price point. Because the machine is so straightforward, Breville is able to keep the cost lower than many of the other espresso machines on the market without sacrificing quality.
All in all, if you’re looking to get into the world of espresso making or simply looking for a lower-cost alternative to another machine on the market, the Breville Express is the perfect choice for you.
Dose Controlled Grinding
Some espresso machines come with a hand grinder or a grinder that detaches from the machine. But this design has made grinding an integrated part of the process. Rather than grinding your beans separately and then needing to measure and dump them into the machine, you simply dump the beans into the machine itself.
The conical grinder automatically grinds and measures out the perfect amount of coffee for your espresso shot. It transfers it into the portafilter through internal mechanisms, so you don’t have to do any maintenance at all.
A dial allows you to control the grind size, so you always have a cup of coffee brewed with your ideal amount of grounds, regardless of what size or kind of beans you’re grinding.
Precision Temperature Control
The design is outfitted with PID technology, which allows for precise temperature control from start to finish. You can control the temperature of your brew to within a few degrees. This is vital considering that a few degrees can make the difference between a delicious and sour brew.
Water is delivered to the grounds once it’s reached the precise correct temperature for extraction, which helps keep bitter and burned flavors from leaking into the coffee.
Steam Wand Texturing
Coffee is just one part of being a barista. Many coffee drinks include milk, cream, and foam. That’s why the machine has been built with a steam wand that provides customizable milk texturing. You can hand texture the micro foam milk for flavor enhancement and for the ability to create latte art.
The steam wand is powered by the boiler. You can customize your settings to choose the precise temperature that you’d like the milk to be heated to.
Hands Free Operation
For those who don’t like to get their hands dirty, the automated processes of this machine are amazing. You don’t have to hand grind or transfer grounds. With the grinding cradle, you’re able to grind straight into the espresso port filter without needing to use your hands.
Brewing is the same. Once you’ve programmed your settings, you can create your ideal cup of coffee with the touch of a button or two.
The espresso machine is designed with a number of customizable settings. You can choose from single or double shots, adjust the grind amount, and manually override any previous settings that you prefer to change. If you want to experiment with different coffees and textures, you have the power to do so.
The machine comes with a number of accessories:
- Razor-precision trimming tool for dose accuracy
- Stainless steel port filter
- Single and dual wall filter with 1 cup and 2 cup options
- Integrated tamper design
- Basic coffee scoop
- Stainless steel milk jug for milk heating and frothing
- Cleaning tablets and disc for maintenance
- Cleaning brush for maintenance
- Cleaning tool and Allen key
- Holder for the water filter and the water filter itself
And of course you get the actual machine.